Saturday, March 12, 2011

The gear Part 1 - Wetsuit

So who would have guessed that getting all the gear for a triathlon is really expensive!!  At first I thought all I would need was myself and a bike...and I guess that is technically all I would need.  But as I have previously stated I'm not a strong swimmer and everyone seemed to think I needed to get a wetsuit.  This magical suit would keep me warm in the cold lake waters, it would help keep me buoyant and help me swim much faster by cutting down on the water resistance.  It seemed like a no brainier I had to get the suit! 

I did a bit of research online to help me decide on the most expensive brand because of coarse it was the best.  It has...
  • Special "Glideskin" neoprene coating helps you move through the water with less resistance
  • Strategically located neoprene panels maximize buoyancy and flexibility
  • Sealed seams keep the warm water in and the cold water out
  • Legs are cut at ankle v/s calf to increase flexibility and mobility
Lucky for me I was smart enough not to just order one of these things online.  I decided it best to go try some on.  Well, for those of you who have never tried a wetsuit on...let me tell you it's not that much fun.  I went to REI and the lady who was helping me was wonderful.  I grabbed one of the suits, size L, and was attempting to put on this super skin tight piece of rubber.  I jammed my feet and legs into the openings and pulled the suit up about an inch and a half.  I called out to the dressing room lady that I thought I might need a bigger size.  She poked her head in the door and saw the suit hanging from my ankles and said, oh no..that might be to big.  (She was serious)  She comes in the dressing room and helps yank the suit up my body and and stuff me in.  Then she zips it up!!  Let me tell you, if nothing else, it will keep me warm.  I might die because I can't breath but I will stay warm in the cold lake water.  Almost instantly I start to sweat.  How gross is that.  I'm tightly wrapped in rubber and I can feel myself starting to sweat, my arms are floating at my sides and my lunges feel like they have just been cut in half.  The sales lady assures me that when I get in the water it will feel much better and I will be glad I have it on. 

As I peel the rubber off of me I glance at the price, it's on clearance!!  What a deal.  I suddenly seem to remember it fitting perfectly.

P.S.  There will be a picture coming soon of me actually in this rubber body suit :)

Man.... I look good  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment