Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Swimming

I remember my mom taking me to swimming lessons when I was a kid.  We blew bubbles in the water and learned how to dive off the edge of the pool...I think I was probably 8 or 9 when I stopped taking lessons.  Growing up in a very small Wisconsin farm town doesn't really give you the opportunity to swim much, and needless to say I've made it almost 30 years without being proficient.  So, this was a real problem.

The day I decided to actually do the triathlon I brought my swimming suit to work and jumped in the pool.  I didn't waste any time and "swam" to one end of the pool.  When I got to the other side I grabbed hold of the wall and gasped for air...not so bad I thought.  I continued going from one end of the pool to the other (gasping for breath in between) for about 30 min and was exhausted when I had completed my 10 lengths.  I thought to myself, that had to be close to a mile.  Not so much...I wasn't even close to 1/2 a mile...I was in trouble. 

The next day I got in touch with one of the swim instructors at my club.  She spent several hours with me in the pool trying to help me learn the proper strokes and breathing techniques.  I can't thank her enough for everything she taught me.  It's really amazing how much easier it is to swim when doing it properly.  I actually have gotten to the point where I don't dread swimming.  I won't go as far to say I like it, but it's not all that bad.

I'm very proud to say I've swam a mile on a couple different occasions!

No comments:

Post a Comment