Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pleasant Prairie take 2

So after the first terrible experience I knew I had to get right back in there and try again.  So I signed up for the sprint tir on July 10th at the same place the first one had been.  The sprint is half the distance of the full.  We swam 1/2 mile, biked 15 miles and ran 3.1 miles. 

Jeremy and I were driving up the morning of the race and I was really excited.  I had been practicing for the swim in Lake Michigan and training even harder.  This race started at 7 and we were supposed to be there by 6:30.  We were a couple miles away from the race complex at around 6:30 and we realize all the roads are closed.  I start to panic and realize I might miss the race.  Finally we talk to a cop who tells us we need to go back to the center of this little town and park at target.  There is a shuttle that will take people from target to the Rec Plex center.  By the time we get to target and onto the shuttle I knew I was going to be late.  I handed Jeremy all of my transition gear and told him to meet me where I would be coming out of the water.  I grabbed my wetsuit and ran to the start.  I got there in plenty on time and even had a chance to warm up. 

As my wave entered the water I got nervous remembering what happened last time.  I stayed to the back and as the whistle blew I put my head down and just started to swim.  I started passing people and before I knew it I saw the each.  I was out of the water in 14 minutes!!  I saw Jeremy and grabbed my stuff.  As I ran into transition I was psyched.  I felt great!

I hopped on my bike and headed to the road.  I was flying on my bike...on the same coarse I barely completed 2 weeks prior.  I finished the bike in 44 minutes and was off on the run.  I was getting tired and had gotten a blister on my big toe from running to the start of the race when I thought I was late.  But, I finished my run strong, with a time of 28 minutes.

I finished the race in 1 hour and 33 minutes and placed 8th in my age group out of 97.  I was so excited!!  I had not only finished but I did pretty well.  I'm officially addicted now :)  I came up witha list of things to do better.  I needed to improve my long transitions times.  I wanted to do slightly better on the run.  And of coarse I want to keep practing that swim.  Next race...sprint tri on the south shore of Chicago July 30th...get ready Chicago Emily is coming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment